Monday, February 29, 2016

It's a Sign



   As the end grew nearer, one of the things that brought me the most comfort was lying in bed with my Momma talking about things - how things were when each of her four children were born; what were her favorite things when she was growing up; did she have any regrets; etc. 
   As we lay there one day, I asked her if she would please send me a sign when she got to heaven, just so I would know that she was okay.  I said, "don't tell me what it is, just make it something so I'll know for sure."  She carefully thought about it and then said, "okay, I will." 
   I know there are two schools of thought about "signs".  People either believe in them or they don't.  I firmly believe and always have. 
   The day after my mother passed, I was out late at night walking my dog, crying, talking in my head to my momma, when I looked up and saw a shooting star.  It surprised me, as I've only seen about three in my lifetime, so I said, "Momma, is that you?"  Immediately, another shooting star went over. I had no doubt that she was telling me she was "okay".  In the next three months, I saw 18...yes, I said 18 shooting stars.  It's usually when I'm having a tough time or when I'm just talking to her as I walk. 
   The other sign I received was confirmation of our love for the beach.  About 8 months after my momma passed, I traveled to the beach with my Aunt for Mother's Day.  We took some of Momma's ashes down to the beach with us and buried them among the dunes.  I was walking on the beach by myself soon after that when I came across the most perfect sand dollar I'd ever seen.  It was the first perfect sand dollar I've ever found.  I knew it was from my Momma. 




   What I've come to believe is that when our loved ones pass, they become angels.  Their new job is to watch over the ones they've left behind.  It's a tough job and that's why it takes something as strong as an angel to accomplish it.  I take solace in the knowledge that my Momma is still with me, listening to me talk about my day, my worries, my dreams, and my fears.



No comments:

Post a Comment